A biotechnology company is a company that uses technology to make or modify products. This can include using biotechnology to make products like medicines, foods, and chemicals. Biotechnologynology is the use of living organisms or parts of them to make new materials or products. Biotechnologynology companies can create these items by using cells from a plant, animals, bacteria, fungi, algae, or other organisms. Biotechnology companies need deep pockets to finance their research and development. Often they rely on venture capitalists from firms such as Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and Khosla Ventures, among others. Venture capitalists are groups of people who work together to invest in new companies outside of the standard practice for funding companies. Biotechnology companies can be found all over the world. They include companies like Bayer Corp., BioMarin Pharmaceuticals Inc., Biogen Idec, Gilead Sciences Inc., and Genentech. These companies all focus on new drugs, therapies, and treatments to improve people’s lives.
Largest Biotechnology Companies In The World
The largest biotechnology companies in the world are Bayer, Roche, Novartis, Sanofi, Pfizer, and Merck. They all have extensive research and development programs to bring new products to market. These companies are also involved in the manufacture and sale of vaccines, drugs, and medical devices. Biotechnology companies can change the way people all over the world live. Bayer is a German chemical and pharmaceutical company that was founded in 1863. It had more than $47 billion in sales during 2012, making it one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world. Its best-selling drug is its Aspirin product, which brings in about $1 billion a year. Bayer discovers, develops, and manufactures various products that improve the health of people all over the world. It operates in more than 100 countries around the globe. The company has one of the largest R&D budgets in the pharmaceutical industry.
Best Biotechnology Companies To Work For
There are many great biotechnology companies to work for, but some stand out among the rest. These companies offer great benefits, interesting projects, and a positive work environment. They are:
- Genentech: Genentech is a subsidiary of Roche Holdings and is headquartered in South San Francisco, California. It is one of the largest biotechnology companies in the world and employs more than 15,000 people. The company offers great benefits, including medical, dental, and vision coverage. It also has a generous 401(k) plan with a matching contribution from the company. Genentech offers employees interesting projects to work on and a positive work environment.
- Amgen: Amgen is another large biotechnology company that is known for its great benefits. It is headquartered in Thousand Oaks, California, and employs more than 20,000 people. Amgen has a positive work environment and offers employees an onsite fitness center and cafeteria services at most locations.
- Biogen Idec: Biogen Idec is headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and was founded in 1978. The company offers a great work environment and excellent benefits. Biogen Idec is one of the largest biotechnology companies in the world and operates in more than 50 countries. Biogen Idec was ranked as one of Fortune magazine’s Most Admired Companies for six years in a row from 2006-to 2012.
- Celgene: Celgene is headquartered in Summit, New Jersey. It is one of the largest biotechnology companies in the world and operates in more than 25 countries. Celgene was ranked by Fortune magazine as 18th on its Global Most Admired Companies list in 2012.
- Biomarin: Biomarin was founded in San Rafael, California back in 1992. It is one of the leading biotechnology companies in the world and operates in more than 35 countries. Biomarin focuses on developing therapies for patients with genetic disorders.
- Genzyme: Genzyme was founded back in 1981 and is headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It employs more than 9,000 people around the world. Genzyme was acquired by French drugmaker Sanofi-Aventis. The company specializes in the discovery, development, and commercialization of therapies for rare diseases.